Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bohemian Waxwings











This past Wednesday, January 21, 2009, was a cold day. I stayed in the house most of the day except for taking the dogs out. About 3:00 PM the puppy started to cry so I put her leash on and walked out the front door. I was very surprised to hear a wonderful sound. I followed the sound to the side yard and sure enough there were Bohemian Waxwings in my apple tree. they make such a calning sound. I was so excited to see them I finished with the puppy and ran in the house to get my camera. My husband bought a new camera for us to use and I couldn't wait to see how the zoom would work. I snapped a few pics and then stood and enjoyed watching the birds. I went to get my tripod and when I got back they were gone.

Last year a large flock of over 100 came the end of February. They ate the apples left on my tree for about a week. When they left there was not one bit of apple left. I imagine they will come back again before the winter is over because there are lots of apples left on the tree. I was actually surprised to see the birds a month early. I wonder if that means something.

No comments:

Post a Comment