Saturday, April 10, 2010

Common Mergansers





























Art and I were driving by the Sugar River on our way to the hardware store when I noticed some white birds on the river. We got what we needed and dropped it all off at home, I grabbed my camera and we drove back to the river. Downriver near the dam were two of these white birds with dark heads and necks and bright red bills. There was also a darker bird with them. I really couldn't get a good look at the darker one because they were far away. We went a bit further upriver and there were 2 more, another of the white birds and a grayish bird with a reddish brown head. I snapped more pics. I was pretty sure the grayish one was a Common Merganser but I wasn't sure about the white because I had not seen a picture of a male.
When I got home and loaded the pics on the computer, I got a good view. The darker bird with the two white was a female Common Merganser. I checked out my bird book and saw that the white birds are male Common Mergansers which I pretty much figured out but wanted to be sure. This is the first time I have seen these birds. Another first today. I can't believe all that I have been missing all these years.
I hope you like the pictures. Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment