Friday, March 26, 2010

Purple Finches, Red-winged Blackbirds,and more














































This past St Patrick's Day, I was visited by two pairs of purple finches. I had gotten a glimpse of one last year but this time they stayed at the feeders for awhile and have come back a few times. I haven't had the chance to watch for the past few days so I am not sure if they are still eating here but will watch this weekend.




The Spring birds are returning and I am back at taking pictures. I had never seen a female red-winged blackbird before this past Saturday. They are actually very pretty with their stripes and speckles. I love the shades of browns mixed with the black and they also have the yellow and orange on their wings. there were about 9 females and 5 males at the feeder on Saturday along with some common grackles and what I believe were two brown-headed cowbirds. I sent some of the pictures to the NH Audubon Society to ask about them and about the finches. I was told these are purples finches but they did not mention about the cowbirds. I have replied to the email so hopefully I will get an answer. They are really good about getting back to me when I ask a question. Enjoy the pics and I hope to start taking more as the weather gets warmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment